Search This Blog

Friday, April 12, 2019

Meknes, Moulay Idriss and Volubiliss

Fez Day 3
March 22, 2019

We didn't sleep good again but at least this time I was prepared for my moon shots...
IMG_-2372
It was pretty neat because there were a lot of birds flying around so I took a bunch of shots to try and get them in the same frame.  I really hope we didn't wake anyone up.  We were cracking up cause I would have my eye in the view finder and Susie would be yelling "oook, coming from the right, get ready!!  NOW!" over and over again.  I'm surprised these actually came out in focus cause I was laughing the whole time!
IMG_-2393
IMG_-2407
IMG_-2399
IMG_-2404
IMG_1401

Ok so I suck.  Today was a field trip day and of course I slept the whole way over to our destination.  I think it was a two hour drive.  We headed west to Meknes first only to find out that the Mausoleum of Mouay Ismail was closed.  I forget why.  But first we stopped here (hehe I have no idea where this is!)
IMG_-2417
This is the Mausoleum...yah, not much to see here...
IMG_-2424
We walked around Bab El Mansour but there wasn't much to see here either(we probably didn't try hard enough)
IMG_-2418
IMG_-2421
After Meknes we drove to Moulay Idriss where we had lunch reservations at Scorpion House. We took one look at the pictures and knew we had to go.  This place was beautiful.
IMG_-2425
IMG_-2449
IMG_1208
This lunch was super yummy...don't mind the date, they said it was the same menu :)
IMG_-2435
yup, more bread!
IMG_-2440
Isn't this so cute??
IMG_-2430
yummmmmmmm nomnomnomnom
IMG_-2442
IMG_-2446
Once again it was way too much food.  Susie literally passed out on the bench she was so full, and tired!
IMG_1210
Until the resident dogs arrived...this is Duster
IMG_1216
IMG_1213
IMG_1212
And this is Pogo.  These were two of the most mellow dogs on the planet.  They must get sick of everyone wanting to pet them all day
IMG_1223
IMG_1217
This is the view from one of the bathrooms!
IMG_-2448
After lunch we headed to our last stop Volubiliss.  This place was a total bust also. Don't get me wrong, it was beautiful like everywhere else, but after such a big meal everyone was exhausted.  We didn't spend as much time here as we should've
IMG_-2452
IMG_-2462
IMG_-2454
IMG_-2481
IMG_-2467
IMG_-2468
I got another nice nap on the way back.  I hopped off the van and saw a donkey.  They were all around the place but I never seemed to have my phone or camera ready when they came nearby
IMG_1230
Just a small observation...they sell a lot of sweets in Morocco, most of them made with honey.  There's always a TON of bees flying on or around them and no one even pays attention to them.  I guess they're cleaner than flys??
This picture isn't even that bad.  I seen way worse
IMG_1231

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

you had me until the last picture but, did you buy the breads with the bees? LOL
love how adventurous you guys are. I know I'm missing out on so much of the world but Japan is so close, so safe, so good!
v

Anonymous said...

Nice! The views are striking. The food looks delicious. Interesting about the bees. I assume they are cleaner than flies, because we all know where flies tend to buzz around...LOL.

Izsmom

Anonymous said...

The streets look super clean - no litter! I like the food (no seafood) but so very different from what we eat, though I am a 'any kine bread' freak. How did you guys ship everything back? The lamps look so fragile and the rug looks big. Was it cold there, noticing the jacket your cousin wore. -N

Leslie's pics said...

We did V! Randy bought a pastry from a place where he said had triple the amount of bees on them. The pastry was only ok...
We miss Japan, we're trying to squeeze in a trip sometime!

Yah Izsmom, that's what we were thinking too about the bees

N - yah surprising there wasn't much litter around. It wasn't stink at all over there, well, unless you were near the tannery. About shipping, the lamps were pretty small and randy brought a medium sized luggage so he packed it for susie since her carry on wouldn't have fit it. Otherwise she woulda shipped it. We didn't end up buying the rug. I didn't want to spend that much money, plus our house is mess we wouldn't no where to put it. It was cold!! 40s-50s during the first week! I loved it!

jalna said...

I love the scenery. And the ruins . . . I always wonder about them. Good to know that honey bees are doing well in other parts of the world. Funny about your photography assistant. Do you know what kind of birds they were? They look kinda big. Also all the satellite dishes . . . interesting.

Leslie's pics said...

I got no clue about the birds...and the satellite dishes!! So funny yah! That's the first thing we noticed!