Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Jaisalmer - Day 6

September 29, 2019

Cows and camels.......We visited Jaisalmer, the Golden City "famous for its golden hued sandstone fort and cobbled streets."  I'm not sure if it was because it was World Tourism Day but we got another grand welcome, bigger than the rest, when we arrived that morning.

If you look closely this is made out of chalk dust!  So neat yah?  
IMG_-3609
Lots of singing and dancing...
IMG_-3604
IMG_-3605

Our itinerary for the day:
Breakfast on board   7:30
Departure for sightseeing of Fort Havelies and Shopping  9:00
Return to POW for lunch and rest 1:00
Departure by coach for sand dunes camel ride  3:30
Dinner and cultural program at Palace Hotel  7:45
Return to POW 11:00
Departure for Jodhpur  11:55

But first, the welcoming committee!
IMG_-3610
IMG_-3613
Ont he way to Fort Havelies we stopped here. I saw this and of course I was giddy 
IMG_-3617
IMG_-3618
IMG_-3635
I wanted to ask the guy if i could feed him but I was too shame
IMG_-3637
IMG_-3627
IMG_-3631
Before we left I ran up that hill so I could get more pics.  The people on my tour must thing I'm weird
IMG_-3641
Fort Havelis...this is the country's only living fort.  Our guide for the day actually lives in here.
IMG_-3642
IMG_-3644-2
IMG_-3646
Gotta watch out where you're walking or else you'll get run over by a motorbike!
IMG_-3647
IMG_-3648
IMG_-3650
IMG_-3653
IMG_-3654
IMG_-3658
IMG_-3661
IMG_-3663
IMG_-3665
IMG_-3666
IMG_-3667-2
These puppets are really popular 
IMG_-3668
IMG_-3669
Such pretty colors!
IMG_-3670
After our rest we took a long bus ride out to the sand dunes for our camel ride.  We weren't gonna do it since we've done it before but I'm glad we did.  This one was prettier than all the rest.
IMG_-3676
IMG_-3680
IMG_-3681
I was hesitant to give the guy my camera but he got some really good shots
IMG_-3691

Dinner was ok.  It was really dark and we sat way too far from the stage to get any good pics.  Tomorrow we head for Jodhpur, wow, the tour is almost pau!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the last several pictures, especially the camels on the horizon.
did you inspect the leather goods there? I was just remembering some leather bags I had from Seafarer Leather in the hippie days before you were born! Sure wish I kept my bag.
was it still hot? Looks like more sun than I can handle.
v

Anonymous said...

The cows look emaciated. What are they all doing, do they serve a purpose such as pulling wagons or whatever? Gorgeous shots though. -N

Anonymous said...

What a great welcome you guys received! Too many cattle for me, they are everywhere. But, they look rather thin. I really love the pic of you and Randy on the camel.

Izsmom

Leslie's pics said...

V - I didn't see any leather goods, I don't think they would sell it since it would come from cows. It was disgustingly hot...that's why there's no pictures of me. I was a SWEATY MESS!

N - yah some places the cows looked super skinny but I did run into some that were very healthy. I was shocked! They seem to eat whatever they can find on the street so I can understand why they are so thin

Thanks Izsmom :)

jalna said...

Beautiful photos! I like the one with the birds flying. Was there somebody guarding the chalk dust artwork on the ground? I would totally be so ignorant and walk right across it.

Leslie's pics said...

Thanks Jalna! I like that bird pic too. Surprisingly no one was guarding the chalk. I'm surprised i didn't ruin it either. Randy woulda killed me!