Search This Blog

Monday, October 21, 2019

Jaipur - Day 3

September 26, 2019

Palace on Wheels is a train tour through Rajasthan, which is a state in the northwestern India.  According to wikipedia it covers 342,239 square kilometers, which is about 10% of the country.  It's the largest by state and 7th largest by population.  Here is a map of our tour.  Sorry, it's kinda crappy.  I hope you can read it.
IMG_2755
And since I took so long to post, I have no idea what we did in Jaipur.  Good thing I kept the daily itineraries.  All I remember was that it was a LOOOOOONG day.

Breakfast on board: 7:00 
Departure by coach for sightseeing: 8:00
Shopping
Lunch at Star Hotel: 1:30
Shopping
Elephant ride & visit of Amber Fort: 3:00
Shopping
Arrival at Durgapura Railway Station 7:00
 Dinner on board: 7:30
Departure for Sawai Madhopur: 7:30

We arrived in the Pink City of Jaipur with lots of excitement and entertainment.  It is called the pink city because a lot of the buildings were made with a terracotta pink color which represents welcoming and hospitality.
IMG_-3344
Every stop the train made had a band playing for us as we started of our mornings
IMG_-3352
Hawa Mahal - we didn't go in so I only got pictures from the street
IMG_-3363
IMG_-3365
IMG_-3368
People always trying to sell us stuff...
IMG_-3370
Albert Hall Museum 
IMG_-3356
IMG_-3374
IMG_-3373
Amber Fort - we had a choice of going up the hill by elephant or tuktuk. 
IMG_-3386
We decided on tuktuk.  We read somewhere that the elephants weren't treated very well and we got to ride an elephant in Thailand so we weren't missing out on anything.
IMG_-3377
IMG_-3371
IMG_-3389
IMG_-3395
IMG_-3398
IMG_-3400
IMG_-3390
IMG_-3393
IMG_-3403
Tons and tons of street vendors!  They are super irritating.  Some of them had some cute stuff but I was so annoyed I kept walking.  Now i'm kicking myself cause some of their stuff were super cheap and I ended up not bringing home anything :(
IMG_-3411
IMG_-3415
IMG_-3417
These are the nurses from Brooklyn.  They knew how to bargain so they got some good deals!
IMG_-3410
Maharaja Sawai Man Singh II Museum
IMG_-3404
IMG_-3406
IMG_-3433
We went to a factory where they hand stamped all of their designs.  It was pretty interesting
IMG_-3437
IMG_-3436
IMG_-3439
This is a sample menu of the food on board the train.  They serve you a little bit of everything.
IMG_2330
Sorry didn't take a pic because they serve you one little thing at a time so I woulda had a ton of pictures of just food.

4 comments:

jalna said...

Nice photos!! I think I would ignore the street vendors mostly because they scare me.

Leslie's pics said...

trust me Jalna, you'd be more annoyed than scared. They weren't scary, just pushy.

Anonymous said...

Your itinerary was so full. I definitely would not make it through the whole day. LOL

Great pics though. The pic with the birds looks like scene out of the Alfred Hitchcock movie The Birds. Scary...hahaha Were they pigeons? I would be irritated to by the vendors. I hate when people are so persistent and don’t seem to catch the hint to give me some space and time to think whether I want to buy anything.


Izsmom

Leslie's pics said...

I have no idea what kind of birds they were...there were A LOT more behind of me on the sidewalk. I was worried I was gonna get pooped on!