Search This Blog

Friday, October 18, 2019

Delhi - Day 2

September 25, 2019

We had only a short tour today with Subie, we started around 11 and then we were off to the train at 4:00.  Our first stop was Gurudwara Bangla Sahib.  This is one of the most prominent sikhs (house of worship) in Delhi.  Besides worship, there's also a HUGE kitchen that feeds 20,000 people daily, regardless of race, religion, rich or poor.  Everyone had to cover our heads and take off our shoes, I was praying that the person before me didn't have ukus.

IMG_-3225

IMG_-3227

IMG_-3232
client-code.js" charset=
IMG_-3238

IMG_-3239

This is the beginning of the line for lunch...
IMG_-3243

Subie then took us to the kitchen so we could see all the action
IMG_-3245

IMG_-3246

IMG_-3247

IMG_-3248

Lots and lots of lentils!
IMG_-3251

IMG_-3253

IMG_-3255

I have no idea what this was but it looked and smelled really good.  We didn't get to eat here (I so woulda though!!) but there was no way I was waiting in that line also...
IMG_-3254

Our feet were filthy after that so we washed it off here.  
IMG_-3256

IMG_-3242

Next was Humanyun's Tomb, a UNESCO world heritage site.
IMG_-3257

IMG_-3176

IMG_-3279

IMG_-3288

IMG_-3289

IMG_-3296

IMG_-3294

Everywhere we went there were these super steep steps.  They said they used it for security.  People can't run away too fast when it's steep like this.  Some places they were different heights!  I thought I was gonna fall on my face!
IMG_-3299

Cute dogs were sleeping all around the place
IMG_-3274

IMG_-3303

IMG_-3310

IMG_-3315

Our last stop was Raj Ghat, the resting place of Mahatma Ghandi
IMG_-3215

IMG_-3214

This is where he was buried, for some reason we didn't go down there
IMG_-3212

This little guy was sitting all alone in the field, looks like he was watching over the place
IMG_-3213


Now the fun begins! Subie then dropped us off at the train station where it was time to start our big adventure...
IMG_-3317

IMG_-3318

IMG_-3324

IMG_-3322

The guy on the left is Gopaul.  He was one of our attendants for the week.  I have no idea who the other guy is
IMG_-3327

And this is Rom, our other attendant.  Dungarpur Saloon was our home for the next week.
IMG_2298

IMG_2303

And this is our cute room!  I forgot to take pics of the bathroom behind me but it wasn't much.  A shower, toilet and sink in a tiny little room. Luggage was stored under the bed
IMG_-3341


Off to Jaipur tomorrow!  See you there!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! all that walking under the hot humid conditions, I give you all credit, so adventurous and strong. I’m a wimp. I feel tired just looking at your pics and you describing those stairs. 😂 I love dogs and have two but seeing all those dogs running loose I can imagine the numerous droppings and smell in the air. Yuck. I love the pic of you and your husband with Rom outside of the train. Looking forward to the train trip.

Izsmom

Leslie's pics said...

Izsmom - I didn't even notice the dog poop. The cow poops were so huge they kinda you kinda forget that the dog ones are even there! :-D

jalna said...

Major culture shock for me!! So interesting. Beautiful buildings. I not even going there about wearing previously worn, sweaty, maybe-could-have-ukus headgear and poop everywhere.

But the barefeet. Where did everybody put their shoes? And how did you find them after? I just had a dream where we had to attend a seminar for work. You were there. Had choke people. It was boring so I wanted to leave even though it was nowhere near pau. But we had taken off our shoes and I couldn't find mine. I kept searching and searching. Pretty soon other people started leaving, including coworkers. It was so frustrating. So I'm curious. Where are all the shoes?

Leslie's pics said...

There was a shoe dropoff place where we got our head thingys. Subie took care of it. They stuck all of our shoes in a bag and they gave Subie a token. It was free, everyone working there were volunteers. Must've had plenty stink shoes back there, but I did notice that plenty people walk around barefoot anyways. Could you imagine? What if they stepped in doo doo?

Akiko said...

What kind of stuff do they sell, especially at the train stops?
I would be interested if it was all types of snacks!

Leslie's pics said...

Akiko - the train stops only had stuff like water and packaged cookies. I didn't get to look around too much if there was anything else because we were always on the go when we were there. We bought some chips and cookies one day, they were good!