Search This Blog

Friday, April 2, 2010

Peeps in Japan!!

Friday, April 2, 2010
Odaiba, Ueno Park, Amayoko

Ok, so it's Peeps time again and it was the perfect time for me to be in Japan, because 1) the deadline to enter is April 3, and 2) the cherry blossoms are in full bloom right now!! So, with the help of Kathy, Anne, Jalna and CQ, my Japanese peeps were born! But before we took our peeps pictures, we started off this morning in Odaiba. It couldn't be a worse day to be out sightseeing. It was raining and the winds were so strong we could barely walk around outside. It felt like hurricane winds! So unfortunately we didn't do much there.
We did find a McDonald's, and we always check them out when we're here to find out what kind of funky kind of stuff they got on their menu. Today we tried their "Big America Texas Burger."
Kind of expensive. 790 yen for this meal
The burger was nasty. It had bacon, onion strings, cheese and relish. Glad I tried it, but will never order it again!
Here's some other stuff they had...
This wasn't McDonald's but isn't this just disgusting??
On the way back to Tokyo we saw a spot that had a few cherry blossoms...but when we got there, it was very sparse.
Why the heck would someone make a sculpture of people smelling each other's butts??
Here was my first attempt for the day. It was really windy at times so Randy had to sit and hold them for awhile
We ended up at Ueno Park, we figured this would be the best location for the shoot. We were right. Here's me with my new pals...
Ok so in case you were wondering, here are my entries into the contest. There was no limit on how many we could enter this year so I entered 4. One is missing, but I'll blog it later...or, you can go to http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/myshot/ and search for "Peeps" and you can see all the entries
Here I am looking all had-its cause it was a looong day and I've been up since 3:00 this morning!
After Ueno Park, we headed across the street to the Amayoko marketplace. I went mainly to see this guy. He fills a bag with candy for you for just 1000 yen. This is what I ended up with, so Jalna and CQ, guess what you're getting!! :)
I love this marketplace, it's filled with anything you can think of. Seafood, fresh fruits and vegetables, clothes, restaurants, and the list goes on and on and on...
On the way back to the hotel we stopped by Beard Papa. Whenever we come back to Japan we come here for not their cream puffs, but their chocolate cheesecake!
It's soooo yummy and we can't find it anywhere else but here. Why oh why can't they sell this in Hawaii??
When you bite into it, it's filled with a chocolate ganache
This is hilarious. Our room is called a "healing room" and they have stuff like a foot massager, a dehumidifier, and other little knick-knacks in the room. One thing they had was some kind of mask you put on your eyes. Since it's in Japanese, we didn't know what to expect. Here's Randy experimenting...
He said it felt like moist towelettes shaped into a mask
But he liked it! Geez, he must've really liked it cause he's snoring really loud right now!!

G'nite everybody! I'm exhausted, and I hope to get up no earlier than 6 tomorrow morning! See ya tomorrow!

12 comments:

Betty Townsend said...

Hi Les! Your photos are awesome. Love your peeps for this year. Randy is such a good sport to be your model. That McD's burger did look disgusting. I wish they had Beard Papa's here in Sacramento. They do have stores here in California, I'm just not sure where they are.

jalna said...

So much neat stuff in this post, i don't know where to begin. Your peeps are so so so so cute! The burgers do look nasty. You don't look had-it. The cherry blossoms look beautiful. WhatDaHell was that butt-sniffing sculpture? Seats? The eye-cover thing looks soothing. Usually when I see photos of street vendors I think, yuck I would never eat from them, but somehow your street vendor's food looked clean and edible. And finally . . . I'm looking forward to the candy!

Jenny said...

Some of these photos are hilarious! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the kimonos for your peeps and some of the photos are really nice. Good Luck!

Jenny

Unknown said...

Wow! Your gonna WIN!!! Thoes pics are beautiful! I love that park..all the cherry blossoms...AND can tell WHERE u are..im sooo excited 4 u!

Les said...

Thanks Betty! hahaha, surprisingly he actually wanted me to take his picture! We have Beard Papa in Hawaii but I never go because they don't have the cheesecake!

Jalna - oh my gawwwd...I was so exhausted yesterday that I stopped taking pictures because I didn't want to post process them all! Anyways, we got so so so lucky with the cherry blossoms, this is the first time we ever caught them in full bloom. I just wish the weather wasn't so crappy! Can you imagine how cute it would've been if there were blue skies?? Street vendors -- i wanted to eat everything in sight. I was too full so we hardly ate anything. But that's ok, we still got two more days :) I was hoping the candy man would give more more bobora type candy but hey, I can't complain,eh?

Thanks Jenny! I can't take ANY credit for the peeps, only the idea of them. My friend did all the work, I tried making one and it looked absolutely ridiculous!

Thanks CQ! I can't wait too...I hope I win something, the deadline is tomorrow...i like give you guys more candy!

Ruth said...

Hey Les! The peeps pics are so cute!! And the Shaka Shaka Chicken and McPork tastes pretty good! Have fun in Japan! :)

Les said...

thanks Ruth! Not sure if we're gonna try the other McD's stuff...gotta save room in our belly for more sushi!! ;0)

KitTKat said...

the peeps looks soooo cute! Props to me!! I wish I was in Japan too. I don't see any hello kitty pics, c'mon man do ur job. Hope you guys R having a fun time, and I also hope ur butt getting mo bigga. hahahaha! Eat Up!

Les said...

holy crap Kat, that's all i've been doing...EATING!! My tbutt is definately bigger! Didn't get to go to Hello Kitty till just today, only took a couple of pics, Randy getting grouchy. I'll post tonight. You're gonna have a blast in a couple of weeks. You better diet until then!

Unknown said...

Hi Les, I like those Peeps photos! Your photos on the way to Tonki are better than Google Maps streetview! Nice photos, jalna's blog led me here...

Les said...

Thanks Rick! Yah, I figure Tonki's not an easy place to find, too bad I didn't go in the daytime so you could see more of the street...

Sandals said...

Seriously....could the "comment" link be any smaller!? So, I was thinking....what if for your next "peep" entry you melted them! What you would see would be a pile of goop with little eyes!!! Can you make of theme of that? Maybe in the desert somewhere...or even better in Yoga class.

Well...later gator, some of us have to work for a living! :)