Search This Blog

Monday, March 27, 2017

The People of Samburu Village

Sunday, March 19, 2017

There are two villages near the lodge, one of them is Samburu Village.  We were fortunate to be able to visit them and learn about their lifestyle.  They seem very happy and friendly, realizing that you don't need money to be happy.  They live VERY simple lives and although they are very poor they are able to raise successful families and warriors.

They wear vibrant colors, which in the morning light made my job very easy...
IMG_0492-2
This woman was stunning!
IMG_0502-2
IMG_0501
IMG_0484
This is Robin Moore.  He's the professional photographer that lead this tour.  He's awesome.  You should check him out here.  He was extremely patient with me...I had lots and lots of questions, and he also gave me some helpful post processing tips that saves me a lot of time!!
IMG_0477
IMG_0587
IMG_0583
They taught Susie how to milk a goat.  Not me though, I was running around taking advantage of the beautiful lighting!
IMG_0503
IMG_0530
IMG_0528
IMG_0511
IMG_0574
IMG_0566
I couldn't get enough of this guy too...
IMG_0557-2
IMG_0552
IMG_0545
IMG_0536
When it was time to leave the kids ran over to say goodbye...
IMG_0612

10 comments:

jalna said...

Outstanding photos! Did you use your neutral density on these? And what time of day was it?

Leslie's pics said...

No filter, just awesome lighting. We went around 7:00 I think, when they were waking up and starting the day. Crazy! I felt bad because I didn't hang around to hear about their culture because i was too busy snapping away

Anonymous said...

Your pictures of the villagers capture their essence. Their eyes are captivating .

Thanks for sharing.

Izsmom

Leslie's pics said...

Thanks Izsmom, aren't they so stunning?! Their features are so incredible!

Anonymous said...

I've been following your adventure and I'm so captivated by your pictures. How do they get all that jewelry that they're wearing...do they make them, trade for 'em, etc? Mahalo -N

Leslie's pics said...

Thanks N! But they make all their jewelry!! Isn't that amazing?? I didn't get to see them making it but they were selling it at the airstrip when we flew out of there.

Honolulu Aunty said...

What is so beautiful about them is that they are comfortable being themselves - they know who they are, where they come from, and live in their traditions.

I wonder what our American Black people (or whatever the politically correct way to call them) feel about African Black people and vice versa. They are so far removed from each other and their roots.

We Orientals (or whatever the correct way to call ourselves) are still very connected to our roots because of the free choice that was made to get transplanted and keep in touch with culture and heritage.

Makes me sad. I am glad to see your wonderful pictures - an ideal life with nature.

Leslie's pics said...

Wow...so deep Aunty! I never thought about that. That's a good question. I was just talking to Jalna about what they think of the tourists when they come to visit. Do they comment about what we wear and the extravagant things we have? Are they jealous or do they not care??

jalna said...

I totally know what you mean, Les . . . who can stand around listening to a lecture when there are photos to be taken!

Leslie's pics said...

I hope they didn't notice me Jalna! yikes!