Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Oamaru!

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

This post is one day late, the internet was sketchy in Oamaru and it wasn't letting me connect to the website.  Oamaru (Oh-wah-mah-roo)...what can I say?  We weren't expecting much, this was more of a stop over day to break up the long drive to Mt Cook.  I found a B&B called The Sheepout and it's on a sheep shearing farm!!!  This ended up being one of the best parts of my trip.  Phil and Sally were extremely nice and we got to tour the whole farm, including a sheep shearing demonstration.  All for just $140 NZ!  I had a smile on my face the whole time I was there...

Right outside our door, we see this
IMG_4656

IMG_4657

IMG_4667

You can see why I was so happy!  Right away Phil took us to the weighing of the sheep.  Here he figures out which sheep to sell and which he needs to fatten up
IMG_4670

Randy in his Gum Boots
IMG_4673

Lots of animals here...
IMG_4674

IMG_4675

This is Kai.  He's the boss.
IMG_4683

The waiting pen
IMG_4685

The weigh-in
IMG_4692

IMG_4705

IMG_4709

My favorite pic of the day!
IMG_4711

IMG_4717

We rode on a little trailer on the back of his quad to take the sheep back to the herding grounds
IMG_4723

IMG_4724

He owns 80 acres of land!
IMG_4729

IMG_4734

and he owns cows too!!!
IMG_4738

IMG_4740

one happy camper!!
IMG_4751

IMG_4753

IMG_4754

IMG_4760

g'nite!  Tomorrow will be the shearing demonstration!!  I can't wait!

5 comments:

jalna said...

So so so so cute da sheep!!!! I was totally chuckling looking at your photos. Wendell goes, "What you laughing at?" I said, "Leslie's sheep." He goes, "Leslie's sheep?" I go, "She's in New Zealand." He goes, "New Zealand? What got there?" I said, "Sheep, sheep and more sheep." He said, "Is she eating a lot of lamb chops?" "What else got there?". I said, "Looks like cows and ducks and one dog." So funny!

Les said...

ahahahaha sooo funny...i was laughing while reading this and Randy was wondering what was so funny. I'm feeling kinda guilty. While i was posting this we were eating lamb chops for dinner :( But they're so cute yah!!!

jalna said...

I get time now, so I looking at all your photos again. So tell me the truth. Farm animals stink, right?

Les said...

They didn't stink too bad, although I got some weird ass bites all over. Randy didn't get any. I'll show you when i get back.

Les said...

HAHAHAHAHA....maybe it was so cold it masked the smell. It was stinkier at other places when I stopped to take pics of my other friends.